It has been a very busy few weeks for us. The month started with my grandmother's fantastic visit and then was immediately followed by my having to go to Boston. My grandmother left on Saturday. Sunday was spent catching up with chores and errands and then I went to Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston on Monday for testing.
That sounds more intimidating than it actually was. I was going up to have an autonomic nervous system panel done. I've done this series of tests many times over the years at several different hospitals, but it has been several years since my last test. So it made sense to see if there had been any change and as a policy they want to do their own testing in their lab before you have your appointment with them. The testing itself isn't really terribly unpleasant; just odd, long and exhausting. So the hour and a half (or more depending on traffic) to get there was the more intimidating part of the experience. Driving in Boston is a pain under the best of circumstances so I would like to personally thank the gods for our Garmin. Even with a ridiculous amount of road construction and detours it still managed to get me where I needed to go with no issues whatsoever. Strangely, getting home was even easier and quicker as I was able to take a more direct route back to the freeway.
Ryan took the day off from work to stay home with Than while I went. We had other options (as I have wonderful friends in Boston with kids Than's age willing to watch him for a few hours so the kids could play) but as Ryan seems to have a near phobia of Boston (and driving in Boston in particular) so he didn't like the idea of me going there and wouldn't even consider my taking Than with me (without him) and driving up there. He would much rather take the time off and stay home with Than. I don't quite grasp his issues with Boston but if he feels that strongly about it fine, plus I think he just liked the idea of some father and son bonding time.
The testing went smoothly and showed pretty much exactly what it had in the past...so no major changes or surprises. The only hiccup was the usual records and paperwork snafu that had to be straighten out. I would have been more shocked if there hadn't been any such snafu. But at least this time it was more a matter of getting them to spell things correctly (like my name) instead of some of the weird stuff hospitals have done with my records in the past. Once while looking through my records I discovered that I was 85 years old and male, which as I was then 21 and female came as a bit of a surprise.
Now I just wait for my appointment with the doctor to see what suggestions or recommendations he may have. Right now my appointment is in January ( the price you pay to see a very well known and respected specialist) unless they can work me in sooner. We shall see.
Then I had a dentist appointment on Wednesday. That same day was a members event at the aquarium with special extended hours in the evening and activities. So we all went after Ryan got off work, but that will be covered in my next post.
Then Ryan had to get ready for his week of advanced training for the Reserves that he is currently in the middle of. Plus I took Than to the Washington County fair on Friday morning and we had a good time. My poor child is cursed. There is nothing he delights in more than animals, particularly the larger ones like horses, cows, goats, etc. The problem is that he is allergic to hay and alfalfa, so since the barns and pens where the animals were on display was covered in hay and alfalfa, he couldn't stay near them for long to his major disappointment. Once Than is a bit older and can go on the rides I have a feeling the fair will be one of the highlights that he looks forward to every year but for now it was just a nice outing.
So it has been a bit crazy lately, but our adorable little one has been very snuggly and loving lately, even more than usual which is really saying something. No matter how crazy or stressful your day has been, a cute little boy running up to you demanding "hugs" and then giving you kisses and telling you that he loves you will melt your heart and make it a great day. So everyday ends up being pretty great.
No comments:
Post a Comment