Saturday, February 20, 2010

Family Haircut Day


So I got in one of those moods where I felt the need to drastically change my hair. I decided that since while I had long hair it was always tied back or in a bun it was time for shorter hair again. When I told Ryan what I wanted to do he told me to make an appointment for all of us since both he and Than were due also. We went to the same place I usually take Than in Mystic.

I was hopeful that with the added distraction of Daddy being there that Than would be better behaved and more cooperative than the last few times. Unfortunately it didn't work that way but this time they decided to cut his hair while he was sitting in my lap and that worked pretty well. We also decided to get him a much shorter buzz cut similar to his Dads hair. Thankfully it is actually easier to do that haircut on an uncooperative child than a basic trim. He now looks even more like his Daddy's clone than before.

It timed out pretty well. Than went first while sitting in my lap and while being distracted by Ryan. Then Ryan went next while I tried to keep Than content. Not an easy task after he figured out how to open the front door and wanted to escape and run around the parking lot. When I wouldn't let him do that he got pretty upset, thankfully Ryan's haircut didn't take long and then he was able to take Than outside while mine was cut.

I love the new haircut. It looks good, feels good, is simple to maintain and most important was a major change. Though I don't think we'll do family haircut day again. I think in the future we will have seperate appointments in order to accomodate Than's short attention span.

All of this followed an interesting day on Thursday. A day when Than was in rare form. We went to a playdate at a house in Narragansett, and based on their house I no longer have to worry about my spoiling Than. They had more toys than he had ever seen before. They even had their own bouncy house in the basement. I was thrilled because not many Moms showed up so it was fairly mellow and we were able to talk a bit. The kids had fun playing, though Than was in Mr. Destructo mode. In their basement it is total kid zone with nothing the kids could harm except the cabinet below the TV which had a babyproofing lock on it. Within minutes Than walked over to me and handed me the now broken lock. I am fascinated by how small children manage to communicate with each other prior to spoken language, because the minute that lock was off it was like the bat signal was on and all the kids immediately converged on the now unlocked cabinet.

Now that would have been an eventful, yet not untypical day for him...but he managed to top it later in the day. While Ryan and I were finishing up after dinner and trying to do the unforgivable, talk for 4 minutes we noticed a sudden suspicious quiet. Never a good sign. We went around the island in the kitchen to discover Than elbow deep in the container of cooking oil. He not only found, dragged it out but also got it open. He was in the process of coating himself in it when we caught him. I swooped him up for a bath while Ryan cleaned the mess. And yes, even with a bath and lots of soap my son still smelled vaguely like French fries for the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment