Friday, December 11, 2009

Mostly Settled

Well, amazingly we are mostly settled in. I am personally amazed by how much we have already unpacked and gotten done. We mostly have artwork and knick-knacks left to deal with. It helps when you move from a much smaller place to a much larger place, plenty of places to put things.

We also have a lot of painting to do, starting this weekend. There are some truly atrocious color choices upstairs. The room that will be the guest room is an awful tealish blue, the master bedroom is a strange mustard color, but the worst is the awful seizure inducing neon flamingo pink room. All of that is bad, but the worst part is that they did a truly terrible job with the painting, even in places where the color isn't bad it will still have to be redone. I don't know if they let their kids do it or what, but it doesn't even go all the way up to the ceiling in places. We are going to start with the guest room first as Ryan's parents are coming out for the holidays, and then move on to the pink room. Both rooms are going to need several coats of primer to get rid of the current color. At this point I don't know if we will get around to picking out a new color anytime soon, but even primer white is a vast improvement.

It has been a very busy few days but much has been accomplished. On Monday the new washer and dryer were delivered, and then a whole lot of laundry was immediately done. We are very happy with our choice and even happier that we didn't have to wait any longer to get it. On Tuesday they installed cable and internet (thank the gods...there are only so many times you can watch Curious George, Elmo and SpongeBob DVD's without losing your mind). However they had to come back out on Thursday to give us new boxes that would allow us to access all the features and boost the signal, but at least we were able to watch the TV and use the internet in the interim. Then on Wednesday the new furniture was delivered. The sofa, love seat and recliner that we picked out suits our living room perfectly and looks great. Mostly it is just nice to have seating for multiple people. On Thursday the new mattress was delivered and since it has a nice soft pillow top I (and my joints) am thrilled. Today I took Than to Wakefield to meet a few ladies from a local mommies group. I wanted to get active in that as soon as possible, not only because I would like to meet a few new moms but because Than really thrives on socializing with little kids and gets very cranky if he hasn't had the opportunity for a few days. Today was mostly for older kids as they were at a bowling alley but it was a chance for the moms to meet me and decide I should be a part of the group. I have been officially welcomed, so I must not come off as a crazy person though Than was doing his best. He refused to sit even remotely still and kept trying to throw himself down the bowling lanes, so we didn't stay too long. However they do have a 2 and under playgroup that would be perfect as well as a babysitting co-op which I am very excited about. It is basically a more formal version of the arrangement I had with Jenn. They are going to try to schedule a meeting next week so that I can actively become a part of the co-op and start wracking up hours for later. Plus all the time I watch other kids Than gets someone to play with so it is win win.

I have to run. It sounds like Than is waking up....

1 comment:

  1. Ryan & Jackie
    Glad to hear you are settled (for the most part). Moving is always a hassle, but the faster things get organized, the more you can relax. What is your new address? I didn't see that posted on the blog. Have a great holiday.
    Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete