Well it has been a frantic few days in transition from one house to the other. While it still seems amazing to me, we did manage to get it all packed and ready to go for the movers on Thursday morning. All the more amazing as Than has been a very clingy pain in the butt for the last little while. He always needs to be held and you aren't allowed to go more than two feet away without him melting down, just a lot of change in a short period of time. I'm hoping he will calm down soon. Getting more settled in and therefore starting to get more of our focused attention will help.
As you can see in one of the photos above, he went basically catatonic for a little while on Jenn's couch after I left him to go back and help Ryan clean and finish up at the old place. Then I had to rush back and pick him up so we could go and get checked in to the Residence Inn in Mystic in time to put him down for a nap. That didn't go as well as I hoped, but Ryan showed up and cuddled Than to sleep for at least a brief nap. We took advantage of the pool which Than adored. Then we were thrilled to discover that in addition to the full breakfast the place we were staying at also has a light dinner on most weeknights. Thursday was BBQ night and as we were too exhausted to cook or go anywhere it was perfect.
Friday was closing day. Ryan had to scramble to make phone calls and answer emails to make sure everybody got the paperwork they needed in time for the close on the new house at 1pm, which thrilled him to no end. Thankfully it all got done in time. I stayed with Than at the hotel while Ryan did the walkthrough and closing. We ended up with a few surprises in the walkthrough. They left a lot of stuff we didn't expect; like furniture on the front porch, shelving in storage areas, curtains, etc. However we discovered that the washer and dryer were gone, which we weren't expecting. I guess the washer was broken anyway and while I don't mind buying new efficient appliances, I wish we had known in advance. So we had to scramble Friday night to go buy new ones and have them delivered as soon as possible. We started at Home Depot, but they couldn't deliver for two weeks so we went to Sears. The new appliances will be delivered tomorrow, much better. Since Than was going nuts and we were at the mall anyway we took him to the playground there and let him run around. It was packed full of kids and he had a blast. So much so he passed out in the car pretty much immediately after we left.
The next morning the movers were set to deliver around 8:30am. Ryan went to meet them and I was going to stay with Than until almost check out time so he wouldn't be under foot while they were moving the stuff in. Amazingly Ryan called me a little after 9:15 to tell me they were almost done and I should head on down. When I arrived at about 10 they were finishing up and moved a final piece or two were I thought they should go. I could not have been happier with the movers we went with. They were fantastic, we have had no breakage or damage (that wasn't a result of Than) and it even was cheaper than expected. So since we got done unloading so much earlier than I expected we also got far more unpacked and set up than I expected. At the end of last night we were where I hoped we would be at the end of the weekend. Today we are down to artwork and knick-knacks that we haven't decided where it should go yet.
I was able to go to the grocery store this morning so we are pretty well set up for the week. In a little bit, after Than wakes up from his nap, we are going to go furniture shopping. As we are in a much bigger house we are now short of furniture. In particular we need sofas for the living room, a small table for the kitchen, and mattresses for the guest room.
Congratulations on a Herculean feat (or several)! Very exciting. So happy for all of you in your new digs.
ReplyDeleteHow it all must seem to Than; a house is like a parent.