The last week has been very busy and not necessarily in a good way.
Computer problems have eaten up basically all my free time and then some for the last several days. Both Ryan and I have iPhones (which we adore) and for those of you who don't know you control everything on the phone through iTunes on your computer. Now since Apple came out with it's new iPhone it also released a major update to the operating system of the older ones, so they can do some of the nifty stuff the new ones do. So on Wednesday I tried to update my phone. I was told I needed to upgrade the version of iTunes we had in order to do so. Okay, no big deal...except the new version really messed up my computer. Now it suddenly couldn't connect to the Internet anymore even though the wireless was fine. So I spent the first night uninstalling and reinstalling all kinds of things trying to make it work, restoring the computer to before the update etc. Eventually to discover that it had messed something up so seriously I was going to have to wipe the system clean, all the way back to how it was when we bought it. So Ryan and I bought an external hard drive to backup all our personal files during date night on Thursday (very romantic I know) and after dealing with that I spent all Friday recovering my computer. It wouldn't be too bad except everytime I had to start from the beginning my computer required 157 Microsoft updates in order to be current. Which takes pretty much all day to download and install and an incredible number of restarts of the computer.
Now I wasn't 100% sure it was iTunes so before I put our personal files back on the computer I tried to install iTunes again, and once again it trashed my computer. So I had to start all over again, and there went my Saturday too. It is now working, but without iTunes until Apple gets it straightened out because it has been causing problems for a huge number of people in addition to me. Pardon the long saga of the computer but short of sending hate mail to Apple this was the best way to vent.
By itself that would make for a frustrating week but Than had to really put it over the top. Also on Wednesday Than decided to start a very dramatic nap boycott. I knew he wasn't sleeping because I could hear him making lots of noise and causing trouble. We have had this issue before and settled it as...I don't care if you sleep but you are going into your crib for 2 hours, I however recommend you use that time for sleep. Since he knows I won't come and get him, he usually doesn't cry or fuss much and generally goes to sleep. Not this time. He showed his displeasure by stripping down and throwing his diaper and some stuffed animals across the room, as well as yanking on the curtains, etc. As you can see in the photo he was quite proud of himself. Then the next day he decided to step it up a notch and make sure I understood exactly how much he didn't want to nap, so this time when he stripped he peed all over his bed and the area surrounding his crib. Now if all had gone according to plan I'm sure he would have been delightedly yelling "Pee" when I came into the room and laughing but ambition got the better of him. He apparently decided to do some further creative bit of damage and in the process of trying to scale the crib he managed to get one of his legs badly stuck in between two slats. I found him screaming and terrified. It took some umph to unstick him but with an ice pack and a bit of comfort he was fine. This did however make Ryan and I discuss switching him to a toddler bed. Now the major downside of that (and what struck terror in our hearts) is that he would then have free reign of his room during nap and bed time. So some major rearranging and babyproofing would have to be done to minimize the damage. Seriously, if he can do that much damage confined to his crib what could he do with a whole room to ransack. Obviously we wanted to put this off as long as possible and were hoping he wasn't stupid enough to get himself stuck again.
On Friday I made sure and put him down late for his nap so he was well and truly tired. As such he caused no major trouble that day. On Saturday I decided to go and buy the toddler bed just so that we would have it ready when the inevitable happened and it was required. Now while I was at Walmart I got a panicky call from Ryan. It seems our darling boy had repeated the behavior and got himself truly painfully stuck again. Ryan was terrifed, sure that he had seriously injured himself and possibly broken his leg. He was getting ready to rush him to the hospital but as I understand it he set Than down momentarily to put of his shoes and Than promptly started running around the room. So obviously no serious injury or hospital trip. It did however mean that the transition must be made immediately.
Ryan spent quite some time putting the bed together and I spent even more time Than proofing the room. Moving some bookcases into the closet, moving one in front of the only plug in the room in use and therefore not covered by a blank plate (later Ryan bolted the bookcase to the wall so it can't be moved or tip over), locking drawers, babyproofing the door knobs so he can't open them, pinning up the curtains...and on and on. I left enough out so that he can feel like he went on a rampage but it will only take a few minutes to put the stuffed animals and such back.
He appears to love his big boy bed and the fact he can get in and out of it on his own. I delayed his nap again today so he didn't cause much trouble. I hope that trend continues but I doubt it.
No comments:
Post a Comment