Several months ago I signed Than up for Toddler Trek at the zoo. It is a class for kids Than's age that meets once a month at the zoo and each class has it's own theme. We missed the first one because Than (and I) had a nasty cold and I didn't want to get the other kids sick.
The theme of the first one we went to was "Backyard Animals". They generally have a half hour or so of free play with all kinds of toys and specimens relating to the theme. That time after that the kids were all given a color and since it wasn't too cold yet taken for a walk to find things that were the same color. Then we came back inside and the teacher brought out a barn owl for them to see up close.
The theme of the next class was "Scales". Than had a blast during free play, and as always was well behaved with the other kids- sharing, playing nicely etc. Then he tried to get them to sit still for story time. That did not work out so well. Than had no interest in sitting still, not even when they brought out a turtle. He's held one of those before so he kept trying to run over and grab it. So I kept taking the squirmy little butt out in the hallway till he would calm down and not disturb others.
We still have several more classes to go, but some how I doubt Than will get much better at the sitting still, especially immediately following get to run and play in the same room. It's still a good and fun experience and I'm glad we go.
No comments:
Post a Comment