Last week was one of the longest most unpleasant ones I've ever experienced. Now Than and I (and several unfortunate friends) had been fighting a nasty cold for a while before that but it finally seemed to be improving. Then one morning I got Than up and while changing him I noticed what at first I thought was a few bug bites. But as the day went on he had more and more of them that were steadily covering a larger and larger portion of his skin. I arranged an immediate visit to the pedetrician in order to find out that he had viral hives. An unusual but not unheard of reaction to the cold. I was told it would get a 1000xs worse before it got better and that we couldn't really do much other than give him Benedryl.
By the end of the day he was one miserable little boy. The photos above don't show the worst of it, but certainly give you the idea. He spent much of the next few days inconsolable and only able to really rest when curled up on me. He wouldn't really eat or drink so we had to bribe him with whatever we could. It was heartbreaking to see him that miserable and not be able to really fix it or make it better. The oatmeal baths, anti-itch lotions and Benedryl could only do so much. Ryan had offered to stay home and help with the screaming cranky boy, but there was nothing he could do either. The only blessing is that it didn't last as long as it could have, only about 5 days. By Saturday they were almost completely gone and by Sunday it was completely over and he was back to himself.
On Saturday the weather was lovely and Than was desperate to go out. So we went to a local grower and farm to get some blueberry bushes, seed potatos and rhubarb for the garden we have been working on. Well the blueberries were for the front of the house to go on either side of the 4 evergreen trees planted there. I have planted some seeds in the raised beds Ryan set up, but we are waiting a little longer before putting in the rest of the plants. We want it to be a bit warmer and Ryan wants to put a fence around it to keep the critters out.
So we had a nice time at the farm. Then when Than went down for his nap I went out to plant things and do some yardwork while Ryan was productive inside. Then when Than woke up we took him to the local ice cream place that just opened for the season. It was yummy and the poor kid deserved a treat. Later that night Ryan and I enjoyed a fire in our new firepit after Than had gone to bed.
Sunday was another fun simple family day. We got a lot done and got to spend a lot of fun family time together before Ryan went out of town. So all in all a perfect weekend after the worst possible week. At least it ended on a good note and Than was doing well by the time Ryan left.
No comments:
Post a Comment